St. Michael's Holy Faith Secondary School, Finglas

St. Michael's Holy Faith Secondary School, Finglas

St. Michael

On 8th May 1894, the Holy Faith Sisters opened a convent on Cappagh Road, Finglas. This convent was located on the present-day site of St. Michael’s Secondary School. Soon after the Sisters took up residence, a private day school was opened for girls and a Junior Boarding School was begun for boys. These schools were placed under the patronage of St. Brigid. In 1918 the Sisters joined the National Board Scheme.

In 1927 a fine red-brick school was built close to the convent in the Sister’s grounds and St. Brigid’s pupils were transferred to this new building (which edifice now forms part of the Secondary School). The boys’ Boarding School was discontinued at about this time. In 1954 Fort William (Craigies) was acquired as a convent and the previous convent was converted into classrooms, which were used by St. Brigid’s until 1959 (and subsequently by St. Michael’s until 1976 when the old building was demolished).

St. Michael’s Secondary School was opened on 8th September 1959 with Sr. Mary Philippa Brosnan as Principal, assisted by Sr. Therese Kearney. On the staff were Sr. Mary Teresa Power (Christopher) and four lay teachers. Sr. M. Raymond Ledwidge, the school’s second Principal, oversaw the building of the new St. Michael’s in 1976 before retiring in 1980 when Sr. Rosemary Duffy replaced her. Sr. Rosemary was elected to the position of Superior General of the Holy Faith Order in 1989 and Sr. Elizabeth Geale assumed her position in the school.

The first lay Principal – Mr. Michael Hooper – was appointed in 1990. The following lay Principal was Mr. Michael Redmond. The present Principal, Mr. John Barry, has been in office since January 2004.

St. Michael’s consists of three buildings, one a purpose-built red brick edifice dating back to 1927, a modern structure built in 1976 and a recently built Sports Complex. At present St. Michael’s has 587 students on roll.

St. Michael’s Secondary School celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the opening of our school in September 2009.

制服介紹 | Uniform Intro

校園 | Campus