St. Attracta's Community School

St. Attracta's Community School

St. Attracta

基本資料 | Information

Banada Abbey Secondary School

The Sisters of Charity opened their convent at Banada in 1862. In response for the need for a boys secondary school in the area, they opened Banada Abbey in 1958. The school also made history by becoming one of the first co-educational schools in Connacht. While providing a broad and balanced education, it soon developed a reputation for its varied extra-curricular activities such as music, basketball and gaelic football, winning the All-Ireland 'B' Final in 1992. The Sisters of Charity handed the school over in 1987 and it came under the trusteeship of the Bishop of Achonry.

Marist Secondary School

The Marist Sisters came to Tubbercurry in 1904. They opened their secondary school, a boarding school for girls in 1914. In 1973 the school became co-educational. Many practical subjects were introduced when the local VEC school ceased to cater for the state examinations. The school provided a broad general education but was particularly well known for musicals, choirs, orchestras, public speaking and debating.

Two Become One

In April 1997, the Marist trustees and the Bishop of Achonry, Dr. Thomas Flynn, agreed to discuss an amalgamation of the Marist Secondary School with Banada Abbey Secondary School. St. Attracta's Community School is the successful amalgamation which followed. It was officially opened by Minister Noel Dempsey on December 2nd, 2002. Built on a 15 acre site at a capital cost of almost €18 million, it is one of the largest and best equipped school buildings in the country. It was built to cater for 675 students. Currently there are now over 600 students on the roll with a staff, teaching and ancillary, of 60.

Public Private Partnership

St. Attracta's Community School was the first PPP School Building Project in the country. It was one of five post primary schools in a 'pilot bundle'. A Public Private Partnership is an arrangement between the public and private sectors to provide public services or infrastructure. The buildings are run and maintained by management company Bilfinger HSG Ireland Facilities Services Ltd. This company has responsibility for the ongoing maintenance of the school for a period of 25 years. Members of the Department of Education and Skills Professional and Technical Staff visit the school on a quarterly basis. The PPP unit also meets with the school Principal every 3 months.

制服介紹 | Uniform Intro

校園 | Campus