St Peter's Catholic College(聖彼得天主教學院)
St Peter's Catholic College
According to Aboriginal tradition this region was created by Daramulen, the sky god who is the source of all power, and who now lives above the sky (Swain 1993: 127, Vinnicombe 1980). Many of the natural features, including the rivers and lakes, were shaped by the Rainbow Serpent, who rests in the swamp at Freeman’s Waterholes (Needham 1981: 69). Many of the local place names have their origin in the Darkinjung and Curringai language groups. Tuggerah, the site of St Peter’s Catholic College, means savannah grassland and the marshy status of the land is evident on the site.
The original property, on which St Peter’s Catholic College now stands, was part of the 1831 Healy grant of 2260 acres which was passed on to the Alison family in 1875. The Alisons, a wealthy Scottish family, also built Alison Homestead and provided the land and plans for the township of Wyong. They retained this land until 1897. The site, later known as ‘Karinya’ was principally used as a hobby farm until it was purchased by the Diocese of Broken Bay in 1982.
The College site has developed through three major building stages since its inception in 1983. Initially, Mater Dei College was built to serve the Catholic community as a Year 7-10 campus. This was complemented in 1987 by the development of a senior campus known as Corpus Christi College. In 2000, both campuses amalgamated as a Year 7-12 campus known as St Peter’s Catholic College.