Ping Yi Secondary School
The Humble Beginnings
Pin Ghee Public School was started in 1930 in the Chai Chee area where there were no major schools except for a few private ones. This old-style primary school was formed when prominent residents of the district, Chen Weiming, Chen Chenji, Xu Hanxiao, Lai Chuang and others, felt that there was a substantial number of children in the district who have reached school going age but had no institution available for them.
Towards a Full-fledged Public School
In 1937, Pin Ghee became a full-fledged public school, with a staff hostel. The school opening ceremony was held on 12 January 1938, attended by the Board members, staff and students. Almost immediately, the new campus reached its capacity. There were many new students who registered to attend classes at the school, rendering the new 7 classrooms inadequate.
During the Japanese Occupation, Pin Ghee Public School was closed down completely, reopening only after the war. The Japanese set