Sacred Heart College, New Town(新鎮聖心學院)
Sacred Heart College, New Town
Sacred Heart College is a Catholic, co-ed college for Years Kinder-grade 10. It was founded in 1888. Between 1888 and 1908, Sacred Heart School was conducted by dedicated Catholic lay teachers, among whom was Ethel Saye, who later became well-known to generations of pupils as Sr. M Josephine, the Infant Mistress. In 1908, the Sisters of St Joseph came to New Town to take charge of the School, then known as Sacred Heart Parish School. Sr. M Gabriel Reidy was the first religious Principal. The number of pupils attending the school grew steadily with the expansion of the city of Hobart into the northern suburbs.
In 1938, a training centre, or novitiate for student Sisters was purchased. The building, then known as "Restormel" is now the Quinlan Building, and the property on which it stood is now occupied by the secondary school. The 1970s saw unparalleled development with additional classrooms in both the primary and secondary sections, libraries, science laboratories and student and staff amenities. Sports fields were developed in Giblin Street. In 1971, the then Finance Advisory Board was constituted as a Board of Management. In 1987, the constitution was revised and in 1989 the College was incorporated to comply with Commonwealth Government directives. The College is now administered by a Board of Directors of the Sisters of St Joseph advised by the College Advisory Board.
The period of the 90s has seen two major changes occurring at Sacred Heart. The restructuring of Catholic education in southern Tasmania saw the introduction of co-education into the secondary school in 1994, and the Year 11 and 12 classes were moved to Guilford Young College. In 1995, the decision was taken to have a dual stream Primary School and to commence a kindergarten.