Mt St Michael's College(聖麥可山學院)
Mt St Michael's College
The history of Mt St Michaels College, Ashgrove has its beginnings in Ireland where, in 1815, Mary Aikenhead began the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity for the service of the poor.
The Sisters of Charity first settled in Australia in 1838, initially working to relieve the misery and degradation experienced by the female prisoners at Parramatta Gaol. In the following years, the Sisters moved into health care, education and aged care in New South Wales and Victoria.
In 1924, Archbishop Duhig purchased Grantuly and the inhabitation of this homestead marked the origin of the Mt St Michael’s College community. Grantuly had been previously owned by Alexander Stewart, a Scottish emigrant who had moved to Australia in the early 1900’s.
In 1925, Archbishop Duhig invited the Sisters of Charity to continue their work in Queensland and they accepted the invitation. As part of his offer, Archbishop Duhig gifted the Sisters the Grantuly homestead to be used as their convent.
It was clear that there was a need for a school to meet the needs of the Ashgrove parish community. After a series of meetings, the Sisters of Charity agreed to take up the challenge. A primary school to be named St Finbarr’s was established. The first Principal, appointed in 1926, was Sr M. Gerard Ryan rsc.
Secondary School registration was received on 28th April 1928 and Grantuly College, as it was known, was officially opened.
It was in 1941 that the secondary college was renamed Mt St Michael’s College as it was believed that protection from a ‘warrior angel’ was necessary in the midst of World War II.
In 1994, the first lay Principal of the College, Mrs Narelle Mullins, sought to re-establish the reputation of the College with a strong emphasis on the Catholic ethos and the learning opportunities available at the College.
A huge commitment to enhance buildings and facilities has been characteristic of the reign of the second lay Principal at Mt St Michael’s College, Ms Alison Terrey.