St Joseph's School, Stanthorpe
St Joseph's School, Stanthorpe
St Joseph's School had its beginning with the arrival in Stanthorpe by four Sisters of Mercy on the 9th February 1875. The four Sisters were Sisters M Agnes, Emilian, Muredach and Malachy. This small group of dedicated Sisters pioneered Christian education enduring great hardships in the fulfillment of their apostolic mission.
Nuns at St Joseph'sThe foundation stone for the Convent building now on the Secondary campus was laid on 11 October 1931. The building cost the grand sum of 12,258 pounds and was solemnly blessed and opened by his Lordship DR J Byrne, Bishop of Toowoomba on the 17th April 1932.
The original school was formerly the Globe Hotel. The school occupied the position more or less where the current Presbytery now stands. It was thought that its initial roll call was in excess of 120 students, some of whom had travelled considerable distances by foot from the outlying tin mines. The original 'school' consisted of one large room with the barest of necessities.
In 1884, St Joseph's School had its first inspection by an Officer of the State Department who reported very favourably on the school, teaching and results generally. However the building was in a bad state of repair and the winter winds whistled through the floor, ceiling and walls. But for all of this the old Globe Hotel was to remain the school until 1907 and the arrival of Fr Matthew Ryan as Parish Priest.
St Joseph'sA new school was built on the site that is now the secondary campus of St Joseph's. The original church build by Fr Davadi was also pressed into service as an Infants’ school and was joined to the wooden building built by Fr Ryan. In 1955 the old school was sold for removal and the primary students moved to the site of the current St Joseph's preschool. The present preschool was part of the Moiaminda Guest House, which was occupied by Somerville House Girls from Brisbane during World War Two. In 1987 the school’s last Sister of Mercy staff member retired.
The Primary campus has recently undergone a building program; Stages 1 and 2 & 3 are now completed and at the same time, the Secondary campus has been undergoing refurbishment. The Technology centre provides students with the most up-to-date resources and there are plans to continue work on other areas of the campus.
St Joseph's early studentsIn 1999 St Joseph’s extended to Years 11 and 12 for the first time in its long history. The teachers are all well qualified and enthusiastic. We complement our classes with subjects offered by the School of Distance Education so those students can study almost any subject they are interested in. This independent style of learning, with our teachers as tutors, will equip our students with the skills necessary to undertake Tertiary Education and succeed.
We believe St Joseph's is able to offer the children of the Granite Belt relevant, practical and personal guidance that will help to develop his or her potential academically, emotionally, socially and spiritually.
St Joseph's School is a Catholic Co-educational school catering for students from Preparatory to Year 12. The school offers a seamless Prep to Senior, Catholic Education for families in the Granite Belt region of Southeast Queensland and Northern New South Wales.